HW: BOC: Lasers

Chaosillumination Chaosillumi at CHAOSILLUMI.F9.CO.UK
Thu Jan 5 05:27:19 EST 2006

The council HSE bloke was not happy about the laser at one HW gig, though
I'm not sure if it was a dressing room rather than a cupboard that he was
detained in.

Looks like we might have to employ similar tactics again at HW gigs, if I
can get the large pile of expensive junk working that I've just purchased...

Though pointing a 35W (Wow!!!) output through fibre optics onto a mirror is
not really something that should be done with the public around, so I can
understand the concern of such safety officers. High power lasers are
extremely dangerous to precious human eyes, and a few milliseconds in the
wrong place can lead to permanent blindness. Must have looked fantastic
though.

Another anecdote I know of is at a Level 42 gig in London in the late '80s.
Optikinetics had just invented the Strobeflower, which gives out very nice
pencil thin beams of strobing white light, which can look *similar* to a
laser. The council man in the afternoon sound check was happy with the new
lighting effect, but unfortunately by gig time he had been replaced by
another council officer. When they were turned on during the gig, he had the
lighting operator by the throat shouting 'you never said you were using
lasers, turn them off now!!'. Obviously he couldn't spot the difference
between a focussed beam and a real laser, not very good for a so-called
professional safety officer.

Neil
Chaos Illumination