space rites

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Jan 5 08:03:21 EST 2006

On 30/12/2005 18:47, Jade man wrote:
> Have to agree with much of what you said. I am having second thoughts on
> the vocal echoes, perhaps using it on two speaking tracks and one song is
> enough.

Yeah, I agree that the heavy echo effect works better on the spoken vocals.

 > I also agree
> with your comments on MotU. I believe I can get away with Dave Brocks
> heavy riffs, but I still cant get very far with Huw's Lead, especially
> when I have to stop rhythm to play lead!

Well, just pretend you're only Dave Brock -- he has to stop playing
rhythm to play lead on the Space Ritual version anyway since Huw's not
on it! ;)

Lots of wah noodle on the the SR MotU (as is right and proper! :)  Need
some "wounded waterfowl" sax in the background :)

> Yes I am and always have been a
> solo player who would like to find others into this kind of music, not
> easy out here with all this cuntry music. [...]
 > My intention was always to recreate the Space Ritual sound and
 > then when I find it produce my own material! Time is my enemy. I get
about
 > 5 days a year to work on all this and I am 44 last time I checked!

Not easy to find space rock collaborators anywhere!  And I hear ya on
the amount of time one gets to put into this kind of thing.  It takes me
years to get a few songs together :/  In the last year or so I've been
thinking a lot about how to reduce the amount of time and effort it
takes to just set up my gear and get sounds recorded.  I guess it's
started to pay off in terms of how fast I went from "zero to listenable"
with the Hassan I Sabha cover -- but that would have taken a lot longer
if I had programmed the percussion myself instead of using loops!

I haven't really messed with MIDI much, though I've got a borrowed MIDI
controller keyboard.  I've got to download SimpleSynth or something and
some Soundfonts and see what I can learn.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson