A lost fan?

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Jul 10 07:16:14 EDT 2006

On 10/07/2006 10:48, M Holmes wrote:
> I was talking to a work colleague last night.  It seems his 18 year old
> son had gone to the Hawkwind website looking for MP3 samples to
> download. He'd expected to be able to get at least some of their older
> songs. He was apparently unimpressed by what's available and it doesn't
> compare well to what he expects given experience of other bands online.
>
> It's a shame.  He's a big fan of The Who and seems a good potential
> convert.  I'll send some CDs on loan to see if the situation can be
> rescued.

Perhaps he can at least be directed to the Roadburn stream (which ought
to still be up).

That said, even if Hawkwind *wanted* to provide some MP3 samples of
older recordings on their Web site, they might have legal problems doing
so.  The obvious samples to include would be stuff from the EMI
remasters; who, actually, has the rights to that stuff at the moment?

The best bet may be to rush off to iTunes Music Store, the UK version of
which (at least) has quite a lot of vintage Hawkwind available in
standard iTMS-style 30-second samples.

I definitely owe my fandom to the kindness of a few BOC-L members back
in the early 90s who sent me cassette tapes of things that, at the time,
hadn't yet ever been released on CD (let alone withdrawn! ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson