HW: Re: Hawkwind live at the 11th Roadburn Festival is

Thu Jul 27 05:31:33 EDT 2006

available on demand

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:08:17AM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> On 11/05/2006 21:05, hawk lord wrote:
> >Hawkwind live at the 11th Roadburn Festival is available on demand
> >-here's the
> >direct link to the on demand webcast:
> >http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/player/audio.jsp?audionumber=28266607
> >Dave Brock has remixed the recordings especially for the webcast -it's
> >74 minutes of
> >pure spacerock mayhem...
> >Enjoy it!
>
> Just listening to this on the iPod again, and the music is still holding
> up for me.  I have to admit I was skeptical when I first read Scott
> Heller's rave review of the concert on this list -- I go through cycles
> every few years of thinking that, this time, at last, surely, HW have
> finally lost it ... again -- but the proof is in the playing.  Is this
> not the best "Right Stuff" in a long while?  It's certainly the best I
> remember off-hand.  The little reinvention of the arrangement in the
> last few minutes is fab.  Kicks a lot of life into a 32-year-old song :)

	Late to the party as so often these days, but since I've finally
got round to listening to this, I have to chime in and say, this is a
far stronger set than I would have hoped for if I'd managed to get to
Roadburn myself. Rearrangements of several well-worn numbers, especially
`Right Stuff' but not just, and a mercifully short `Assassins'.
Generally it's just a full-strength high-impact performance and one the
band could justifiably be proud of, one of those special sets we're
lucky to have captured like _California Brainstorm_. If this does come
out on CD there'll be songs here that haven't been recorded live since
1973 or 1974, too, which is a definite bonus.

	I also have to champion Real Alternative, which I found here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

Running as a browser plugin, that took me about a minute to install,
there's only 10Mb or so of it, and it it `just works', instantly, no
reboot required. On my creaky old machine Real Player's always been a
no-no partly because it's proprietary, but mainly because it's bloated,
huge and wouldn't run fast enough to be worth using. No such problems
here, so that's me happy. Yours,
				 Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk