BRAIN: Regal Tones Show Review (for real)

Jason Scruton js3619 at ACMENET.NET
Fri Jul 28 21:25:02 EDT 2006

I had sweat away several  pounds of life by the time they took a bow  after
"Burning For You."  In the interim, it stuck me that the crowd gathered at
the front of the stage might well have been the entire arena. It was huge.
All were extremely pleased and guzzling the myriad liquid refreshments on
offer.

The short respite ended when we entered "the Black and White Set" --- The
Regal Tones were refreshed and sporting thin black ties, white button down
shirts, black pants and shoes. Wasting no time, they launched into a
full-fledged Beatles onslaught.  I've always been lukewarm when it came to
John, Paul ,George and Ringo's output. Years of FM over-exposure,
overly-rabid adulation and too many incomprehensible pop crimes in their
solo careers left me only with a respect for their 'contribution to
rock'n'roll.

  Tonight, all that changed.

Like the first set, I cannot remember all the songs performed. I know
"Daytripper" (woohoo!), " We Can Work It Out", "The Night Before", "Help!"
(and it came down heavy and fast, outrocking the studio track 1000 to 1),
"Twist and Shout", "Love Me Do" (Albert on harmonica and drums
simultaneously. Very tough!), "Things We Said Yesterday", "A Hard Days
Night" -- complete with the cool opening wash of feedback and the nifty
guitar fadeout were standouts in memory and at the time,   There were at
least four more tunes, each as cool as the rest.

The British Invasion continued and the audience joyfully surrendered to the
Big British Beat as Albert delivered those that pre-break drum fill in "For
Your Love," as well as the snappy snare drum rat-a-tat  in "You Really Got
Me."  "Secret Agent Man"  and "Hang on Sloopy" followed up the rear in all
their rockin' majesty.

You might be asking, "...But what of the Stones, J? What of the
Stones?"   Fear not, for  two of their many 45s were played -- my paradigm
for what a guitar can do, "The Last Time", sent me into a frenzy as it
should rightly do. It's ugly twin brother, "Satisfaction" included a
hummingbird-speed bass drum fill by Monsieur Bouchard made their bad selves
present at the Dance.

As they did with Set One, Set Two concluded  with Spectres' resident
monster. Tonight, "Godzilla" wore a thin black tie,"Topsy (Part Two))"s
drum solo, and the usual percussive excellence we know radioactive lizard
masks can bestow upon their wearer (or something like that).   Although
closing with 'zilla.. the crowd called out  for more. "(Don't Fear) The
Reaper" was our present for finding and creating the night's vibes. 'Twas
an old friend this song, still in good shape and displaying all the signs
of a well-earned classic status.  Unlike the usual BOC shows, the Big 3's
presence was not expected, but they were very welcome. I think they sound
better without expecting 'em. There was one other song I don't know. They
specifically played it for the woman who organized the whole shebang. She
and her husband joined the 'Tones on stage with merry abandon.

After encore two ("Satisfaction"), the song to end all encores hit the
stage,"Good Night Sweetheart, Good Night." Their  a capella version bade us
fare well, as tradition commanded, and the assembled mass staggered home,
exhausted from the groove. Rightly so, the band's final bows were like the
embrace given by civilians to GIs on VE and VJ Day.

To put it all another way: tonight was the first time my parents and I
enjoyed the same concert.
It was one for the books.