BOC: Sunday Times review

Jason M. Scruton js3619 at ACMENET.NET
Mon Jul 31 15:58:09 EDT 2006

> What you really hope for is that the band would
> maintain the enthusiasm for music and performing that
> they had as a young band.  I sometimes think that one
> of the things that drags down bands who have had giant
> monster hits, is the resulting virtual enslavement to
> playing those songs night after night for years on end.
>
> Steve

Definately true. The enthusiasm and performance in the Regal Tones' 'Burning for
You' blew away, for example, A Long Day's Night's rendition. Given the
increasingly large guitar solo spots, I think they might do well to revive
"donovan's monkey" and things like that from SWU as it fits that 'jamming' mode
moreso than the present "Then Came the Last Days of May." It loses focus to me
with two soloists (Lanier n' Roeser).

A fun fact-speculation:
Has BOC EVER played a show (post Agents) without Reaper during past 25 years.

J.
PS: They play , with an Alvin-Lee-less Ten Years After, in Albany's space-age
Empire Plaza on Wednesday.  I wonder how it'll be (for both bands. I quite
enjoyed TYA's "Undead" album). I woke up this morning with "Old Gods Return"
playing in the mental jukebox... which is odd because I can't stand the
repetitiveness of the chorus.
I'll post show review 'n' comments.