OFF: Orange Goblin

Thu Jun 1 08:28:19 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:50:00PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> That's cool.  Post _Big Black_, I thought they lost a lot of their
> melodic groove that had made them interesting in the first place.  I
> didn't end up getting _Rage of Angels_ or whatever it was, or
> whatever else they may have done next.  But there's always a soft
> spot in my heart for Orange Goblin.  "Blue Snow" has never left my
> iPod!  Now if they'll just start playing "Saruman's Wish" again :)

	The follow-up to _The Big Black_ was called _Coup de Grace_, and
has a number of things going for it, principally that John Garcia sang
on a few numbers and Scott Reeder produced. I have to say that it's not
a ringing endorsement of Mr Reeder's production because it sounds just
as dense and crowded as _The Big Black_ to me, but there's some good
numbers on there, if not great, and the whole thing still has the swing
that Chris Butler gave it for the most part. The most recent album as
far as I know, _Stealing From the House of God_, I can't really say much
about, but the one number that Rise Above had up for download didn't
really inspire me to investigate further. Then I found out that they'd
changed drummer and knew why. But _Coup de Grace_ I will get round to
getting one of these days. Yours,
				  Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk