OFF: Orange Goblin

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Jun 1 09:26:34 EDT 2006

On 01/06/2006 13:28, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> The follow-up to _The Big Black_ was called _Coup de Grace_,

Ah, yes, "Rage of Angels" must have been the putative single ....

> and
> has a number of things going for it, principally that John Garcia sang
> on a few numbers and Scott Reeder produced. I have to say that it's not
> a ringing endorsement of Mr Reeder's production because it sounds just
> as dense and crowded as _The Big Black_

That's it, yes: _The Big Black_ sounded quite dense and crowded in
comparison with _Time-Travelling Blues_.  I mean, one's gotta like
tracks like "Scorpionica" :) but things don't really "breathe" on the
album.  And what I heard of _Coup de Grace_ got, I dunno, just a bit too
thrashy and punky, which is fine though I don't think it's the band's
forte ....  Haven't heard a whisker from _Thieving ..._ yet though!

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson