OFF: Orange Goblin

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Jun 7 07:51:14 EDT 2006

On 06/06/2006 23:41, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> 	I figured that the sound of _The Big Black_ and _Coup de Grace_
> was down to people's reactions to _Time Travelling Blues_. Whether
> people liked it or not, almost every review I saw said "and it sounds
> like Lynyrd Skynyrd",

A reaction which always confused me since _TTB_ doesn't really sound
very much like Skynyrd!

> or in extreme cases "What is this supposed to do
> for me that any Montrose LP doesn't?" (I saw this comment on a different
> list at the time TTB came out; only reason I ever checked out
> Montrose... )

;)

> 	But anyone who's seen Orange Goblin will know that their
> front-man at least is somehow convinced that they're a heavy metal band,
> so I suspect that they were trying really hard to sound more dense metal
> and less seventies groovy clearlight with the follow-up, and then stuck
> with it alas...

Yeah, I know -- I just think there are bands that do dense heavy metal
better than I've heard OG do it, but they had a better line on Martian
truckstop groovefest than most. (Much in the way I think there are
better electronica and techno bands than Hawkwind, but beating them at
pulsar warpdrive space rock is tough!)

Cheers,
Carl

--