HW: Latest Voiceprint blurb...

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Jun 15 10:04:56 EDT 2006

Quoting Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>:

> Cheers,
> Carl (who looks forward to someday hearing the 5.1 track on _The
> Grateful Dead Movie_ DVDs, though the new stereo mix is pretty good!).

There are actually two different 5.1 mixes on it.  One of them is the original
theatrical one, and there was a new one made specifically for the DVD.  The
theatrical one is kind of weird and has some level and delay problems IMO
(possibly it needs to be calibrated differently for a home theater system).  I
need to try the new one, I'm guessing it's better (in fact I think the bonus
material is the new 5.1 mix and it was definitely better).  But yes, the stereo
mixes on many of the Dead DVD's are excellent (like the View From the Vaults).

And the extra bonus tracks on the second disc are FAR superior to the original
movie tracks IMO.  I mean, look at this tracklisting:

Uncle John’s Band; Sugaree; The Other One>Spanish Jam>Mind Left Body Jam>The
Other One; Scarlet Begonias; China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider; Dark Star;
Weather Report Suite

BTW, Amazon (US anyway) is having a 50% off sale on all Grateful Dead DVD's
until June 19th.  http://tinyurl.com/kmmlc

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"Dark Star crashes pouring its light into ashes. Reason tatters, the forces