Trivia and brainteaser

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Jun 27 06:30:06 EDT 2006

On 23 Jun 2006, at 16:08, Chris Owen wrote:

> Now a brainteaser; On which core Hawkwind Album sleeve did Bob Calvert
> write three four letter
> words after making a mistake? btw glad to see that Hawkwind stand
> against internet censorship.

Ooo, dunno!  I got into Hawkwind too late in the day to have many LPs ....

> Finally Desert Island disks; which 5 Hawkwind tracks off which album
> and why
> would you want to take to your desert island. In my case it needs to
> be at least 25...

Natch!  At least 25.  Bringing it down to 5 tracks ....?  I think that's
likely to make me pick 5 different tracks every time!

Well, OK, there are two tracks that will always make my HW lists:

1) "Lives of Great Men > Void of Golden Light", _Palace Springs_. One of
the first HW recordings I heard, and always, unquestionably, one of my
faves.  Lemmy-fan though I am, I like this version more than the
_WotEoT_ original.

2) "Time We Left (This World Today)", _Doremi Fasol Latido_.  For the
bass solo!  One of humanity's greatest artistic achievements! OK, people
keep telling me the live version on SR2 (or that recording under
whatever name) is better, but my CD has been mouldering in a garage in
NY for the last 10 years, and it'll have to wait a bit longer for a
reevaluation ....

After those, too, it gets more difficult and random for me

3) "Out of the Shadows", mmm, probably the Nottingham Rock City show
recording with Simon House.  The _California Brainstorm_ version is also
good .... Well, I quite like all the live versions of this song I've
heard from the early '90s!

4) "Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear in Smoke)", _Hall of the Mountain
Grill_.  Just a classic track from one of my overall favorite HW albums
(again, one of the first HW tracks I heard -- and always a fave).  The
sound of Dave's guitar on the intro to this version has never been
equalled in any other performance I've heard.  I could easily put
"Paradox" or "You'd Better Believe It" here, but I'll go with "PWD(IS)".

5) "Shot Down in the Night"!  I've always thought of this as the most
under-represented HW song ever.  Classic vibe, great break in the middle
.... Thank you, Mr. Steve Swindells! :)

And so 5 just isn't enough.  I mean, my list has nothing  _Space
Ritual_, and how could a list of top HW performances not include the
likes of  "Born to Go", "MotU", or (the remastered CD counts!) "You
Shouldn't Do That" (a wah intro on par with ye olde "VC Slight
Return"!)?  "LSD" from _ET_ is also great, and I love the "Psy Power"
from "This is Hawkwind (Do Not Panic)" ... the original "Hassan I
Sabha", "Moonglum" .... Oh, I could go on naming cool tracks all day :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson