HW: Big announcement???

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 27 20:03:20 EST 2006

  Jon says...

  >I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather have new
>material I can play again and again than a festival I couldn't go to
>more than once and probably wouldn't that. Are we really by and large
>saying we'd rather have a gig than an album? Yours,

  I'm no more 'we' than you, but I'd rather have the Hawkfest.  Now if it were a full-length *really* new album (there's no guarantee this previously unreleased music isn't just some studio noodlings and TMTYL outtakes, or maybe those Bob Calvert poems put to backing music), I'd reconsider.  But if there were any really great recently-written rock songs on there, you'd think we'd have heard them live sometime in the last calendar year.

  And a weekend camping festival is not the same as just a 'gig' (especially with all the great ales at that place near Donnington).  Festivals like Hawkfest, Burg Herzberg, Strange Daze, Klangbad, Sweden Rock, Bospop, Sziget, etc. etc. are the only 'societies' that make any bloody sense to me.  The rest of the year we have to live in the absolute shithole that is the current state of this miserable planet.  So I personally need to have a real reason to even venture out into the world and participate in something worthwhile, even if passively most of the time.  We have the rest of our lives past the inevitable date when Hawkwind retires (remember how that was widely believed to be imminent about 8 years ago on this list???) to listen to studio music isolated in our homes.  If there's a Hawkfest scheduled for a weekend within two weeks of Burg Herzberg, there's no way I'm going to let myself get stuck here in goddawful Ohio the whole bloody summer.  I have to have something to look
 forward to....every day here seems like ten years of exile.

  Grakkl

  P.S.  I have 'issues' I guess.  Acute homesickness for one.