BOC: Richie

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed Mar 29 09:20:04 EST 2006

Quoting nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM:

> I heard that Richie Castellano had a new album out so I went over to his site
> and ended up watching, listening and reading stuff there for about an hour.
> I have to say I'm psyched that this guy is in BOC!  He's a top-notch player
> and seems to really dig what he's doing.

I agree, he's really breathing new life into things.  And I too think he's a
fabulous player.  I'm interested in hearing his album.

> It makes me hope BOC is doing another album, and that Richie is involved in
> the creative process.  I think he could really bring a new spark to things.

[OT]  I remember when David Ragsdale joined Kansas and I kept hoping for the
same thing, as he was a great violinist, and seemed to be giving them a kick in
the ass.  A few years went by and they put out a sub-par album with him in the
band (Freak of Nature, including a song co-written by Kerry Livgren).  They
still SMOKE live though; I think they are one of the greatest live rock bands
EVAR.  What's weird is Steve Walsh put out a brilliant solo album a few years
afterwards (Glossalalia, though I have a feeling a lot of that was Trent
Gardner's influence; haven't heard Steve's latest though).  Did he save his
good material for himself?  Likewise, even when they got Kerry Livgren to
collaborate again on a whle album (Somewhere to Elsewhere), I thought the
material was weak.  Yet the stuff Livgren is doing now with Proto-Kaw is
fantastic.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"Dark Star crashes pouring its light into ashes. Reason tatters, the forces