[OT] Deep Purple and Kansas (Was: BOC: Richie)

David Kuznick dkuznick at ALUMNI.BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed Mar 29 11:36:43 EST 2006

Quoting "Alex S. Garcia" <asg at MVDBASE.COM>:

> > > It makes me hope BOC is doing another album, and that Richie is involved
> > > in the creative process.  I think he could really bring a new spark to
> > > things.
> >
> > [OT]  I remember when David Ragsdale joined Kansas and I kept hoping for
> > the same thing, as he was a great violinist, and seemed to be giving them a
> > kick in the ass.  A few years went by and they put out a sub-par album with
> > him in the band (Freak of Nature, including a song co-written by Kerry
> > Livgren).
>
> But to take another example, Steve Morse did tremendous good to Deep Purple,
> at least on the "Purpendicular" album which was absolutely amazing.

I remember hearing some tracks and it didn't do anything for me.  But I'd give
it another shot.  I love Steve Morse.  I used to see him a lot when I lived in
Florida.

> As for "Freak of nature", I haven't heard it in quite some time, but I did
> like it when it came out.

I did too, but I think that was more because it was finally a new Kansas album.

> > Yet the stuff Livgren is
> > doing now with Proto-Kaw is fantastic.
>
> I need to get my hands on more Proto-Kaw stuff. I only have the first album,
> which has some really cool material on it.

Do you mean the album of pre-Kansas stuff on Cuneiform?  I like that too, but
the new stuff is VERY different.  The old stuff was almost Canterbury-esque.
The new stuff is more "standard" symphonic progressive, with some jazzy twists
here and there.  But I like it a lot.

--
David Kuznick   dkuznickATalumni.brandeis.edu
"Dark Star crashes pouring its light into ashes. Reason tatters, the forces