HW: album slagging

Thu Mar 30 15:13:48 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:28:28AM -0500, David Kuznick typed out:
> Quoting Iain Ferguson <iainferguson at AOL.COM>:
> > Its complete tosh, completely horrid 80's mixing gone horribly wrong
> > with nasty gated effected drums that sound like an Roland 808 drum
> > machine put through the tumble drier... Yuk yuk yuk,  and I love martin
> >   griffins drumming. but on this it's almost more leaded than D.
> > Thompson Junior...

> I like Choose Your Masques quite a bit (though I admit I didn't like it at all
> at first).  Then again, I'm that weirdo who thinks Club Ninja isn't all that
> bad either.  I haven't listend to Distant Horizons since it first came out, but
> I know I thought it was awful then.  I guess I'll give it another listen.

	I do like _Choose Your Masques_ though I agree about the
production and the drums. There are also only really three songs on
there if you're generous and accept that `Choose Your Masques' itself
counts as one and not a monotone. But I like all thesynth pieces there,
especially `Void City which is not perhaps typical HW but makes an awful
lot of sense once you've had it on headphones while travelling the
London Underground... And `Fahrenheit 451' is top stuff. It beats _Sonic
Attack_ as an album any day by my reckoning. Yours,
						    Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk