album slagging

Fri Mar 31 15:03:39 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:46:37PM -0500, blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM typed out:
> Tim Hall <tim at KALYR.COM> wrote:
> > I quite like about two thirds of that one [Club Ninja].  If you make an imaginary
> > album by replacing the two cheesiest songs with the two BOC songs from
> > "Bad Channels", you'd end up with a decent album.

	I do think that's a really good idea, FWIW. I might have to burn
a disc with that arrangement. But I suspect I would in the end only
replace...

> Now here's the trick...which two are the cheesiest? If you asked around here, I bet every song on the album would get named at least once. ;-)

	`Make Rock Not War' must be on *everyone's* list. After that I
agree, it'll vary.

> As of this moment, I'd probably have to go with Madness to the Method
> and When the War Comes. Beat 'Em Up is silly, but it's just too fun to
> skip.

	I would leave off `Madness to the Method' just because it's not
very good and the words don't make the sense that Buck was
presumably hoping they'd make and it bugs me. `Beat 'em Up' is a fine
song married by awful lyrics. `When the War Comes' is one of the most
classic BOC riffs ever then obliterated by that upwards shift for a pop
verse thing that Buck was doing in the mid-eighties, but there's still
good stuff in there. Except for the terrible couplet ending in `fist'
whose precise horror thankfully escapes me. And... OK, maybe that
should go too. But I always like to imagine the song that could have
been if only they'd worked with that first riff.

	Actually, to be honest, if we're recreating the album in our own
favourite way, I haven't anything good to say about `Shadow Warrior'
either, let's leave that off and then we can ditch the daft title. Hey
is it 1986 yet? Yours,
			Jon

ObCD: Birth Control - _Operation_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk