HW: Voiceprint releases etc.

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 16 14:09:17 EDT 2006

Hey Folks...

  I just stopped by Voiceprint's website to see if they had any information up about the "Take me to your Future" CD-EP/DVD release (assuming they're handling it again).  Didn't find anything out about that, but up on the upcoming CDs list, they've got a whole series of live Robert Calvert CDs coming out that might be of interest to some.

  Plus, finally, the 8th Weird Tape is (apparently) now out on CD!  Cool.  Wonder why that took so long?!

  Um...has anybody ever heard this guy "Von Lmo" before?  I bought a CD of his last week out of the cheapie used bin, just cause it had the name 'Cosmic...' something as a title.  And the description inside was peculiar in a Hawkwind Log kind of way.  And then I listen to it, and the music sounds exactly like something Nik would do.  With a guy on Tenor Sax even, playing very much in the Nik-freakout style.  The singer (Von Lmo, with the Lmo pronounced like Elmo I gather) has a much different voice than Nik, kinda deep & bluesy, but otherwise this stuff sounds like something between ICU and Nik's band with Helios and Pressurehed guys.  Not bad at all.  A hell of a lot better than Space Ritual, that's for sure.  :)

  Oh, and thanks to whomever it was that posted about Jonathan Kane a few weeks back.  What I heard in the store was actually not the "February" album, but rather a brand new 2-track CD-EP out on the Radium sub-label of "Table of the Elements."  It was the long second track (the title track, which of course I can't remember right now) that I thought was really cool.  I'll have to pick up both CDs sometime soon.  Apparently he's from the band Swans (the drummer?).  I've seen that name (Swans) from time to time, but not really sure what they're like...avant-garde sort of stuff?  There's a whole bunch of bands whose names I'm familiar with (like Merzbow, Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, etc. etc.) and I figure they're all the same kind of quirky avant-noise post-rocky stuff that may or may not be any damn good...who can tell?  Oh, yeah, Muslimgauze too.  And some more stuff on that Table of the Elements label too, likely.  I should really get a computer at home with some kind of
 decent soundcard where I could check out samples of all this kind of stuff, so I know whether I might want to buy any of it.  Plus, I hear something about Hawkwind shows being online now.  :)

  That's all...Grakkl

  P.S.  The Japanese ex-avant-noise current-groove-psych band Boredoms are playing here in Columbus in late June.  Presumably they're doing some kind of US tour around then.  Those interested might check their local listings.  (Also, Circle are doing four shows in late July in the UK...go to www.circlefinland.com for more info.  London, Brighton, Bristol, Birmingham or something it was.)