How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon May 22 12:35:56 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 20:05 +0000, hawk lord wrote:

> On behalf of Walter Hoeijmakers, the organisor of the Roadburn Festivals,
> I'm pleased to post the following:
>
> Hawkwind live at the 11th Roadburn Festival is available on demand -here's
> the
> direct link to the on demand webcast:
>
> http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/player/audio.jsp?audionumber=28266607
>
> Dave Brock has remixed the recordings especially for the webcast -it's 74
> minutes of
> pure spacerock mayhem...

I figured I'd better get around to listening to this because, in the
past, I find they usually disappear by the time I eventually make a
visit. :-)  Also, with that in mind, I thought I'd best save a copy of
the webcast to disk in case it does eventually disappear.

For those who might also want to do that (instead of fiddling with
re-recording the output of their sound card, which might be noisy), here
is what I did:

I had a look at the Web page source to determine the URL of the stream.
I ended up with this:

"rtsp://streams.omroep.nl/vpro/28266607/surestream.rm?title=Hawkwind - Roadburn 2006&author=Hawkwind"

That discovered, it was a simple matter to use mplayer to save the
stream to disk:

mplayer 'rtsp://streams.omroep.nl/vpro/28266607/surestream.rm?title=Hawkwind - Roadburn 2006&author=Hawkwind' -dumpstream -dumpfile Hawkwind_Roadburn_2006.rm

This gave me (after 74 minutes of streaming) a copy of the RealMedia
webcast in the file Hawkwind_Roadburn_2006.rm.

If you want to burn the RealMedia file to CD, you can also use mplayer
to convert it to WAV to make that easier:

mplayer Hawkwind_Roadburn_2006.rm -ao pcm:file=Hawkwind_Roadburn_2006.wav

This uses the pcm disk audio output to create a WAV file in the file
specified after "file=".

You could then use audacity, CDWAV, or some other WAV audio editor to
split this up into separate tracks for burning.  Alternatively, you
could author a CUE sheet and use something like cdrdao to burn the
single large WAV file as separate audio tracks to CD.

(To that end, if anyone has gone to the bother of splitting this up into
separate tracks, would you let me know the mm:ss:ff lengths of your
tracks, or otherwise where you placed the split points.  That would make
it much easier for me to author a CUE file to split up the webcast into
separate tracks. [I can use shntool to do the actual splitting.])

Mplayer is available as open source for Unix systems.  I believe there
is also a port to MS-Windows.  You might also be able to use VLC to
play/record the stream, as it understands the RTSP protocol.

> Enjoy it!

I am!  Many thanks to the band for allowing this to be streamed!

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa