How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed May 24 07:21:28 EDT 2006

On 24/05/2006 08:37, pete howe wrote:
> Yes,i find it a little ironic,after weeks of debating the best possible
> way to get THIS FREE onto your cd/ipod/mp3 blah blah..note that this
> excellent performance wasnt INTENDED for FREE download,especially as the
> hawks are RELEASING THE WHOLE PERFORMANCE...OFFICIALLY.. on cd
> shortly.They state quite clearly on their website about free
> downloading/bootlegging/unofficial recording etc, and all you guys
> generally agreed on the ethics of this some months back..,as the band
> DOES, at the end of the day, have to make money .., and theres certainly
> no "download free here" button, because it wasnt intended to be...
> I enjoy going to the site and listening to it..but as it cuts off
> halfway through Hassan I Sahba..I think i'll show Dave and the guys some
> respect,and wait and cough up the money when it comes out OFFICIALLY...

Well, I absolutely encourage a CD-quality release of this concert
(hopefully full length since I understand the stream cuts off).  And I
would happily buy a CD or -- better still for myself and the band -- a
FLAC download.  But I see nothing wrong with trying to listen to the
*free* non-CD quality version in the way which best suits *me*.

I mean, honestly: I thoroughly understand the sentiments of concern for
the band.  And seriously: My felicitations to all ye who find it easy
and convenient to listen to the 74 minute stream.  That's great.  I'm
gladdened that people have that opportunity

But it doesn't really work out for me, and I don't see why I shouldn't
be able to listen to something that is, after all, freely available in
the manner of *my* choice.  Sure, it's intended to stream; but is there
a license or something somewhere saying "You may only listen to this
music if you're willing to grind it through your internet connection for
an hour or so at a go?"  If there is, then fine, very well; I'll cease
and desist.  But such conditions would do little to encourage me to a)
listen to the free version b) buy the full quality release.  Surely both
those things are, to greater or lesser extents, in the band's interest?

I like Hawkwind.  I have bought a lot of Hawkwind recordings.  The band
in its various incarnations and many of its musicians have been a
powerful musical inspiration to me for many years.  Hawkwind says
they'll release this concert at CD quality and (you'll have to forgive
me for not believing *everything* the band says about its release plans
without reservation ;) I hope I have the opporuntity to buy it in a
sensible manner.  Until then, I just hope to be able to listen to the
free version (which I am grateful to the band for providing) in some
way, at all.

 > I just hope i dont see "Roadburn Festival cd-(most of)" on EBAY
shortly ;-)

There are lots of bands that permit audience taping but also sell their
own high-quality live releases via download (not to mention their studio
recordings on CD and download).  I don't recall seeing, for example,
lots of illegal Gov't Mule CDs on eBay.  Isn't it pretty much
established that if you make things available to people legitmately
reasonably then they'll go for it?  Why would anyone buy an illegal copy
if they could get the real thing easier (and better)?  Where are my 2
CDs worth of totally legitmate "Hawkwind @ Roadburn 2006" FLAC downloads
from hawktracks.com for USD 15?  Point me to it; I'll buy it!

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson