How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed May 24 09:18:27 EDT 2006

Colin Allen writes:

> The Music on the Roadburn/3voor12 site IS only a stream, not a
> download.  However, streams can be captured and recorded very easily
> by fans.  Given that this stream is only of part of the gig, it seems
> likely that virtually everybody who has downloaded it> will buy the
> official release when it is released.

>   Meanwhile, the existence of this stream has created interest, has
>   made the band's sound available to people who may not have
>   experienced them before and has probably helped to sell more CDs.

Certainly I pointed a number of people who've been asking "Just what the
hell is it with Mike and this Hawkwind band?" to the Roadburn webcast
and already someone is asking "What are the best Hawkwind CD's to buy?"

Adrian Wagner has clearly had a little mail order business going by
continually advertising small numbers of his CD's on Ebay. Seems to me
that the best way to scotch the bootleg dealers is to keep the lawyers
on their backs, but also continually advertise small numbers of Hawkwind
CD's on Ebay on a bidding or "Buy Now" basis. If it helps to mark the
genuine ones then advertise them as signed by the band.

It's the 21st century. The future is here. There's no point in
pretending that people can't record webcasts and little commercial sense
in simply refusing to support webcasting when that's what the 21st
century consumer expects.

I understand that there are concerns that the well of future record
deals may be poisoned by an excess of recordings. However the markets
are moving away from such deals being the sole method of music
distribution. Indeed it seems that most folks younger than me see it as
passe to collect CD's and instead simply put music on their Ipods until
they get sick of it and replace it with new downloads. Such people can
only be made customers by offering downloads at reasonable prices and
free samples so that they can decide that they do want music by a given
band.

For the entire genre it's time to decide whether to be Living in The
Future.

FoFP