How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed May 24 10:14:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 12:27 +0100, Colin Allen wrote:

> The Music on the Roadburn/3voor12 site IS only a stream, not a
> download.  However, streams can be captured and recorded very easily
> by fans.  Given that this stream is only of part of the gig, it seems
> likely that virtually everybody who has downloaded it will buy the
> official release when it is released.

I know that on the strength of what I've heard I am definitely going to
get the official release when it eventually comes out on CD.  Not only
will I get to hear the full performance of what sounds like a strong
show, but also hopefully it will be free of the clipping problems that
affect some parts of the Web stream.  (Plus, of course, it helps support
the band.)  Having listened to the Web stream at my leisure, I know I
won't be buying a pig in a poke when the official release sees the light
of day (eventually).

>   Meanwhile, the existence of this stream has created interest, has
> made the band's sound available to people who may not have experienced
> them before and has probably helped to sell more CDs.  Why not see
> this as a form of marketing rather than a threat?  In fact, how is it
> a threat or a negative factor?

Unless I'm misremembering, there have been one or two BOC fans on here
who have been vocal about being turned on to Hawkwind on the strength of
this free Web stream.  That seems to have gone completely over the
band's head with their bizarre missive to the list threatening an end to
future Webcasts.  It's not healthy to mistrust your fans like this.

>   By the way, how is this different from the live performances that
> have appeared on the BBC over the years? Those were not downloadable
> (especially as downloads did not exist at the time) but could still be
> recorded off air by fans.

You know, Hawkwind might sing a lot of songs about technology, but they
seem to know bugger all about it. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu