How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Colin Allen colinjallen at YAHOO.CO.UK
Thu May 25 12:39:38 EDT 2006

Mike,

  It all sounds so easy in theory but it is about the people involved; if people do not understand, or are afraid of, the potential of technology or of the fans, they will not do it.  I tried to make this happen in the past!

  Colin

M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
  Carl Edlund Anderson writes:

> However, the band ought to have *complete* control of whatever they are
> producing *now*, including -- perhaps especially including -- live
> performances. I have no doubt that the band could take a full
> Brock-mixed recording of the Roadburn performance (as a single example)
> and stream a lo-fi version for free while selling downloadable MP3s,
> AACs (through iTunes), CD-quality FLAC downloads, and perhaps even some
> physical CDs themselves (through their own mailorder service or at
> shows, if nothing else). This is *exactly* what loads of other bands
> are doing, and very successfully. Hawkwind has only to start doing the
> same to start reaping the benefits.

Yup, every Click on a link to a live gig could send five quid from
someone's Paypal account to Hawkwind's Paypal account with nary a need
for anyone to do much but check three times a day that the website is
running. Pretty much all of that fiver would go to the band too. Sure
they'd have to pay a couple of percent to Paypal and some to whoever
manages the website, but compared to the One Pound something the band
gets from a ten quid CD sale through a record company, that's a pretty
good deal. All it needs in infrastucture is an upgrade to the website
and between the folks in this conversation the technical expertise
almost certainly is there and the willingness to do it for access to
free downloads.

If the worry is that folks will print them to CD and sell them then the
answer is that damn near anyone younger than 30 would rather download
than buy a CD. Those oldsters that would rather have a CD could be
catered to by offering them copies by mail order or simply printing
easy-to-follow instructions of how to go from download to CD on their
own computer (I'll write them for free - it's what I do) and offering
the covers for print on the Hawkwind website.

Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click....

...there's sixty quid in the Hawkwind bank account for no effort and no
ten-percenters. Surely that's worth thinking about?

FoFP