How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri May 26 05:30:38 EDT 2006

On 25/05/2006 22:50, Jill Strobridge wrote:
> hmmm - but bear in mind that not everyone in the world is a super
> computer user either in terms of understanding what the technology is
> doing nor in the quality of their computers....

Reasonable queries.  Nonetheless, the present is here ;) and enough
people are already comfortable with this stuff to make the model viable
and successful.  I mean, clearly not everyone purchasing Grateful Dead
concerts from 1972 is a 13-year-old hacker :)  But hit the downloads
section of <http://gdstore.com/> and you'll find more GD concerts and
studio albums than I can be arsed to count available to purchase as
downloads (in 2 flavours of MP3 and, of course, FLAC).  You get PDF
album covers too, which you can printout and slap into a jewel case
if/when you burn your files to a CD.  And if, somehow, the process of
purchasing a download defeats us, then we can still buy (much of) the
material on physical discs that get sent in the snail mail, just like
they've always been :)  Costs a bit more that way, but hey, producing
discs and stuff costs money, so there you go.

There is no one selling pirated copies of the downloads (or discs)
because there's no money in doing so.  It's much easier for fans to buy
the music they want in the format of their choice directly from the
legitimate source.  It's as simple as that.

> ok  I'm a pedant but surely it needs to be much harder than
> just-a-click-away?

No ... No it doesn't :)  Buying downloads is just like buying anything
else online except that the final page, instead of saying "Thanks for
your order; it will be posted to you" says "Thanks for your order; click
to download." :)

Usually you have 48 hours to get your downloads, which should be enough
for even 3 or 4 discs of FLACS at common broadband speeds. If there's a
problem, you contact customer service and they sort it out (just like
with Amazon or something), because the cost of pissing you off is much
higher than the cost of giving you another 48 hours ;)

These questions are answered in things like the livedownloads FAQ:
<http://www.livedownloads.com/faq.asp>.  (Bands with enough volume in
download sales maintain their sites -- even the famously Napster-hating
Metallica have <http://www.livemetallica.com/> -- but livedownloads.com
is the biggest catch-all for everyone else.  It would be, I think, the
sensible venue to start selling Hawkwind concert downloads at this time.
No need to reinvent the wheel.)

Cheers,
Carl

ObLegitimatelyRecordedFreeDownload: "Hawkwind @ Roadburn 2006".  Getting
into the last few tracks and still very rocking!  If the FLACs were
available, Hawkwind would already have another 15 bucks in their pockets.

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
mailto:cea at carlaz.com
http://www.carlaz.com/