How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon May 29 18:21:10 EDT 2006

On 29 May 2006, at 21:52, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> 	The things that bothers me with such parallels, if I can do my
> usual thing and play devil's advocate, is that the real success
> stories
> on this field all seem to be in the US jamband scene, which is huge
> and
> apparently equipped with many wealthy and fanatic fans. And some poor
> fanatic ones also :-)

Well, _mostly_ university students, actually.  Unless things have
changed since I were a lad, they'll fit more into the latter
category ....

> Hawkwind's fanbase just isn't that mobilised, even
> if it might be huge. Also, those bands sell enough that a record label
> can either accept the situation, and the market, or else lump it, but
> Hawkwind can't muster the same sort of leverage.

Originally, the situation we see in the States springs directly from
the fact that it's much easier to rely on ticket sales from heavy
touring in the States than in Europe.  Thus the Grateful Dead didn't
have to care if fans tapes the shows -- they could even encourage it,
and still survive on concert revenues.  But since audience tapes
proved an *incredibly* successful form of viral marketing (after 20
years half the country had a Dead tape somewhere) the burgeoning "jam
band" scene adopted it wholesale.  Many bands kept some kind of
control on soundboards (Phish used to keep their DAT soundboards
whilst leaking analogue copies to the fans for trading), and once it
had been established that fans would buy archival concert recordings,
it was a short step to releasing whole tours on CD (Pearl Jam did
that, no?), but since commercially produced CDs are really quite
expensive in terms of overhead, the advancement of technology to the
point where concerts could just be downloaded was like a godsend.
And now, many fans are by-passing CDs completely even for the studio
records.

Which is why I don't think any difference in the "scene" really
matter.  The model has *changed*.  Concert promoters in the States
are waking up to the fact that it's not just about rabid Deadheads
with thousands of patchouli-scented cassettes -- *lots* of people
want a CD souvenir of the concert they just saw.  Even the dreaded
Clear Channel is scrambling to make it possible to buy, or at least
place an order for, a CD copy on your way out of the venue.

Do Hawkwind fans not buy stuff at shows?  On the contray, those
shirts and CD singles were going like hotcakes (whatever that means)
at the last Hawkwind gig I saw!

> Of course the way to
> change that is to gather the fanbase in by selling stuff to them
> frequently, and I don't see what the band would have to lose except
> time
> by having live downloads for sale on their site while they're only
> with
> Voiceprint. They will get bootlegged, but it really should only be
> spillage over the edge of the vessel, if you see what I mean; no-one's
> going to choose the bootleg over a legit copy if they know there's a
> choice, and this is presumably the logic that Metallica finally worked
> out.

Metallica always allowed audience taping, of course.  Metal they
might have been, but that San Francisco legacy.  They hurt themselves
in the PR Department a bit by going ballistic over Napster, but of
course a) people shouldn't steal music, and b) Metallica would be
screwed if people stopped buying the studio albums ;)

But honetly: Who's going to buy a bootleg when it's easier to buy the
legit thing?  It's no harder to bootleg a CD than a concert
recording.  Is there a big problem with people selling bootleg copies
of the last Hawkwind studio album?  Why would it be different with
downloadable files?  A CD is just a collection of files, after all.
I don't understand the objection.

> But I don't think it's going to work as well for HW as it does
> for GM because GM are a special case and so are the bands they play
> with
> who've been mentioned in this thread, Phish, Widespread Panic, and so
> on. Other scenes really haven't got that kind of coherence IMO.

I don't think you need a scene with coherence.  You just need to sell
something.  And what Hawkwind has is, basically, an untapped revenue
stream, regardless of how many tour dates they put in.  They overhead
required to record and mix their shows is minimal -- I mean, Brock
already *did* the hard work for Roadburn.  The only remaining link in
the chain is to sell fans the recording by download.  There's no
label involved, no production costs for discs and inserts.  If no one
buys the download, they've lost little but some time.  If *anyone*
buys the download, they've made some money that they wouldn't have
otherwise made.

Selling downloads, selling live downloads -- these are just examples
of another change in the music business as the tech changes, just
like selling _any_ kind of recording was when there were first
recordings to sell.  And perhaps there were musicians then, too, who
resisted the idea of selling recorded version of their performances n
a wax cylinder or whatever.  It wasn't the way things used to be!
But I guess we don't know who they are now ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson