HW: Xenon Codex

Tue Nov 7 16:20:21 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 06:37:30PM +0000, Amphetamine Embalmer typed out:
> Yes! Excactly 100% METAL. Back when Hawkwind were some of the roughest
> chaos rockers I became a fan when they also were so contemporary too.
> Like Guns N Roses or TSOL Hawkwind were HEAVY in the 80's:) I was in
> awe because I had never heard heavy metal like that with synthesizers
> and such lush mythology built around it. Made me a fan forever. I
> think Ron Tree was one of the strangest and coolest things to happen
> to Hawkwind. I miss Ron! Stuff like Alchemy and Reptoid Vision... ah,
> it was glorious...

	Ron's era was glorious while it was new and then it all went to
hell rather. I miss the Ron that had an entire Brixton Academy craning
to hear the poem he was reciting, propped up on one elbow at the very
front of the stage in 1996; but I don't miss the Ron that did the dull
Calvert impressions and the long anti-heroin rants by 2000. There's some
sign of the old Ron on Mother of All Band's _Insect Brain_, but I can't
imagine him ever having both the inspiration (wherever he was getting
it) and the stage to deliver it that _Love in Space_ era Hawkwind gave
him again. Pity it contained the seeds of its own undoing... I don't
know how you get round that but at least he can look back and know he
was briefly absolutely as much he could be. Yours,
						   Jon

ObCassette: Hawkwind - _Quark, Strangeness and Charm_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk