OFF: A real live air guitar!

Fri Nov 17 06:48:08 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 06:08:26PM -0600, John McIntyre typed out:
> I don't get it.  How can a sensor in the elbow of a shirt determine
> which notes the fretting hand is playing?

	I'm not a neurologist, but I could hazard a guess. Depending on
how, er, well-covered one is, if you hold up your forearm before you,
and flex each finger in turn while looking at your arm, you'll see that
you can observe the tendons and muscles flexing, maybe even all the way
down to your elbow. I'd guess that a suitably-arranged pressure sensor
could thus feed back to the amp details of which muscles were working
when. Though how it can tell whether you'd have fretted an invisible
guitar properly or exactly where those fingers were to be placed...
smoke and mirrors I reckon :-) Yours,
				      Jon (whose ears are still buzzing
from Motorhead last night--review to follow)

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk