OFF: guns debate

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 22 05:27:58 EST 2006

I don't really want to get into a debate here but one leetle comment.

Jonathan Jarrett writes:

> 	After all, they do in the US make you take a reasonably minimal
> amount of training when you take charge of what is currently the UK's
> most popular killing weapon, the car; I can't help but wonder why similar
> regulations don't apply to guns. Just the habit of properly clearing a
> weapon, and perhaps some bloody target practice, and you have to wonder
> whether the US's gun problem would look so serious.

There's very little serious problem with *legal* guns in the US. They're
almost always used for self-defence or suicide, with a few badly-trained
idiots on the side shooting themselves or letting kids get ahold of
them. I'm in favour of so much training that US activists call me a "gun
banner".

Illegal guns on the other hand are quite a problem in the US, and a
growing problem here...

FoFP