BOC @ The College of Staten Island, Staten Island NY, November 18 2006

Tony tony.orourke at TALK21.COM
Thu Nov 23 05:21:52 EST 2006

There's a live CD in circulation of a radio show BOC did in 2003 (Anaheim
Feb 03, I think).  Anyway, the mid song announcer refers to Buck's
pre-Reaper doodling as "Buck's Boogie" whereas it is normally referred to as
"Reaper Intro".  I have seen BOC a bunch of times over the last four or five
years (nothing before that till 1985!) and that "doodling" has evolved into
a thing of beauty.  And the excitement it causes as most of the fans know
what's coming next.

Another positive not about the new BOC is that I now look forward to the
drum and bass solos during 'Zilla.  I can honestly say I have never felt
that way before...

Get well soon Allen Lanier.

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Warrick Bell
Sent: 23 November 2006 04:35
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: BOC: BOC @ The College of Staten Island, Staten Island NY, November
18 2006

BOC @ The College of Staten Island, Staten Island NY, November 18 2006

Only four members of the band were on stage but that didn't stop them making
a lot of noise or having a good time. After the first song Eric announced
that Allen was ill, but that didn?t stop new members Jules Radino on drums
and local boy Richie Castellano on bass really showing themselves to fit
well with the Eric and Buck and the band's music. Castellano in particular
was astounding; playing a 5-string bass he's equally impressive with a pick
or fingers. He plays chords, he plays funky pops and slaps, he beats on the
body of the guitar, he fingertaps, he plays harmonics (!) and he also sings.
Radino drives it all along with a kit of sensible size that he makes sound
far bigger than it actually is.
Richie's father opened the proceedings and Eric gave a number of shout-outs
for Castellano's House of Music during the show. Part-way through the set
Eric introduced a friend of Richie's named Andy Ascolese to do keyboard
duties; Eric said this guy had never played with them before so it would be
interesting to see how it went but he handled his part very well and was
even given a guitar during a couple of songs, so they were able to do a
4-man guitar jam during the encore.
Buck played a long melodic mostly-solo piece (Jules and Richie dropped in
for a short while towards the end) just before the band launched into
Reaper; this was my first BOC concert so I don't know if this is something
he usually does. It's not anything I?ve heard on any of the official live
releases.

Setlist:
	The Red and the Black
	OD'd On Life Itself
	Burnin' For You (Buck vocal)
	This Ain't the Summer of Love
	Shooting Shark (Buck vocal; Eric keys - he took off his glasses
while he was setting up the music sheets!)
	Harvester of Eyes
	Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll (Eric played his "Cities on
Flame" guitar
		[ http://www.ericbloom.net/images/Guitars/cities_lg.jpg ])
	Black Blade (Andy keys)
	Then Came the Last Days of May (Buck vocal; Andy guitar)
	Godzilla (with bass and drum solos)
	[long Buck solo]
	(Don't Fear) The Reaper (Buck vocal)
Encore:
	Hot Rails to Hell (Richie vocal; Andy keys and guitar)