OFF: The Weller/Kilmister controversy

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Thu Nov 30 10:11:55 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:29:09AM -0000, CWarburton at OAG.COM wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> Whatever Paul Wellers faults, dismissing his work out
> of hand is just crass.  The best of The Jam stands up
> well against anything else of its era, and as for the
> current crop of guitar bands, more of them sound like
> XTC wannabes or bad Joy Division copyists than sound
> like Jam tribute acts.

I agree that dismissing The Jam's work out of hand is
just ridiculous, but I think the original poster was
right - a lot of bands these days do sound like they've
got their nose up Paul Weller's ass.

As for Joy Division, the only JD influenced track I've
heard in years was Moby's Extreme Ways.

Steve