Recommendations on Expanding My Library

Tue Oct 3 17:15:05 EDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 02:01:31PM +0100, Iain Ferguson typed out:
>  > Gong
> Angels Egg
> Camembert Electrique
> Floating Anarchy
> Live est Mort
> Gong Live
> You

	I'd endorse those of those that I've heard (not got either
live one) but _Camembert Electrique_ is the essential introduction.
_You_ is a bit *too* blissed out to be interesting in places I think.

>  > Osric Tentacles
> only ever saw them live upto about 7 years ago, when there output live
> started dipping for me.

	They were absolutely incendiary live in 2001-2 but the albums
don't seem to have reflected this. Over time they have got less random
and more synthy so the early stuff is rawer and odder, but they've
always been quite well worked out. If I had to pick one I would pick
_Strangeitude_, and if I were allowed two I would add _Live
Underslunky_. _Spice Doubt_ is to me the example of an increasing
phenomenon whereby Ozrics live albums were nothing like the band when I
saw them, slower and calmer and that really wasn't what they used to be
about. I wouldn't recommend it particularly. _Pongmaster's Ball_ may be
better.

>  > Kraftwerk
> Autobahn
> all their other stuff doesn't even come close for me.

	I agree with that, but _Radioactivity_ is the other interesting
one. I can't stand _Man Machine_ and think it a laughably twee
electropop album, perhaps because I came to it after electropop was
dying so don't have the context for it, so even though it's their
famous one I wouldn't waste your money on it. Get _Autobahn_ and listen
on headphones. Be ready to jump out of your skin about twelve minutes
in, if I recall correctly. Yours,
				  Jon

ObCD: Bevis Frond - _What Did For The Dinosaurs_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk