Northampton gig

Wright, Mike wrightm at BRE.CO.UK
Wed Oct 25 06:52:15 EDT 2006

Northampton Deco is a smallish new look inside thetre, with standing
space downstairs and a circle with plenty of seating, which had the
front half occupied. The bar sold bottled beers, including Sam Smiths
pale ale. Which was nice.

I got there at 8:25 and managed to see 15 mins of Lastwind, was was
good. It was Paul Hayles on 2 keyboards, and backing tapes I gues, with
a very fine guitarist doing blanga crossed with the odd wailing bit.
Brock meets hillage. Very tasty amd I would like to buy some of their
stuff. I guess the website http://www.lastwindmusic.com/ is not
representative of this gig, as it is more soundtrack stuff, but if they
were to record what they are doing live I would happily pay for it.

Hawkwind came on at 9.00, Dave Alan, Richard and keyboard player, Jason
Stuart according to myspace. There was a microphone centre stage, which
was never used, maybe it was for Mr. Dibbs, but they didn't get to do
Silver Machine (they ran out of time) so maybe that is why it wasn't
used.

The backdrop was the archway with the two female statues either side,
with a big screen in the middle, which was used very well, excellently
psychedelic effects. The stage backdrop is the one shown in this photo,
http://www.hawkwind.com/gigs/x2005/Xmas_05_017.htm.
I didn't notice the lighting problems discussed on
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=98697926
&blogID=184503864&MyToken=019947e1-a2e3-407d-a959-24d39a8136eb, but what
do I know?

The band all had laptops, so they could see what was happening, but only
Jason had keyboards. I think both Dave and Alan had boxes to press for
sounds, but no actual keyboards. This was good as we got Dave doing
guitar all night, and the world was a better place for that. His effects
were on a table, so he could see what was going on, although I think all
his effects were in one box raqther than lots of different pedals. There
were two dancers, who came on at different stages in different outfits,
including the winged demon
(http://www.hawkwind.com/gigs/x2005/Xmas_05_034.htm) the tailed monster
(http://www.hawkwind.com/gigs/x2005/Xmas_05_041.htm) and some bug like
things. I am not particulalrly a fan of dancers, (for any event) but
their costumes are great to look at.

The track listing is a bit vague, certainly towards the end of the set,
but here goes

Right Stuff
Psychedelic Warlords
Orgone Accumulator, different to the last time I heard it, with a slow
bit in the middle. I preferred the new tempo bit to the slow bit in the
middle.
Robot with Richard reading out the 3 laws and doing the Are Oh Bee Oh
Tee bit.
Paradox
Poem (read by Dave)
Lord of Light (very fast and most excellent)
Instrumental with Jez Hugget sax in it
Greenback Massacre
Infinity (lovely to hear)
Hassan

Encore: buggered if I can remember the first one, but they finished with
Motorhead, the sound of Alan's bass in the intro was awe inspiring.

They finished at 10:30 and looked as if they enjoyed it, certainly Dave
was smiling in the second half.

Big Mike