HW @ Cambridge & Northampton

Wright, Mike wrightm at BRE.CO.UK
Thu Oct 26 09:35:24 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]
On Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: 26 October 2006 10:40
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: HW @ Cambridge (was Re: Northampton gig)

Yews I'm pretty sure it was, as I recall the line "Give me your hands"
near the end.

Mike
> Poem (read by Dave)

If this was the same as done at Cambridge, it was the end of
Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's dream":

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.

Can add it to the lyrics archives, I suppose ;)

Sat a bit strangely in the _middle_ of the set, but hey ....

> Lord of Light (very fast and most excellent)

My only complaint from Cambridge is that it was too short!  I've heard
somewhat lackluster modern versions of Lord of Light since it was
revived in the 90s, and this wasn't one of them!  Righteous.

> Instrumental with Jez Hugget sax in it
> Greenback Massacre

Though it's good to see something looking in from the new album, I'm not

sure "Greenback" is my favorite Alan song from the last 10 years (stuff
from his Captured Rotation album -- along with Sputnik Stan! -- remain
my favorite recent output of his).  From the new album, I might have
picked .... "Angela Android", actually, and paired it up with "Robot" :)

> Infinity (lovely to hear)

Definitely!  And I couldn't place it at first, either -- I needed Mr.
Jarrett to remind me that it was originally on PXR5 (my copy languishes
in my parents' garage on the other side of the Atlantic.

> Hassan

I always enjoy Hassan (heck, I've recorded my own cover version), though

after all these years I've still really been into the "Space is Their
Palestine" bit in the middle.  I miss that little climbing riff that
carries over to the "It is written!" part on the original, and which I
think is nicely dramatic.  Still, you can't goo too far wrong with
"Hassan I Sabha"!

> Encore: buggered if I can remember the first one, but they finished
> with Motorhead, the sound of Alan's bass in the intro was awe
> inspiring.

If it was the same first encore as at Cambridge, it was "Spirit of the
Age", which was good fun (though it would have fit nicely with either
"Robot" or "Angela Android", too ;)

And Motorhead was *way* cool to hear.  After all, it's not like Lemmy &
Co. are likely to perform it!

Though my surprise of the night in many ways was "Images", not listed
above so perhaps it wasn't at Northhampton.  Sung by Richard, whose
voice cracked a bit here and there, but less as he started getting more
into it I think.  Otherwise, a bloody good version played with great
energy.

Over all ... great show!  I don't know if it was the _best_ I've seen
the band, but they were very solid and on good form.  I really can't
level much in the way of complaints about Dave's guitar that I usually
have in the past.  Dave was very much out in front, playing guitar
throughout, and entirely audible -- the way it should be :)  Richard was

holding it all together as always, Alan was playing immaculately as if
he was born for it (presumably so), though a bit low in the mix
sometimes IMO (presumably not his fault, if it was more than my
perception).  Jason seems to be acquitting himself well; it's nice that
there's a dedicated keyboard/synth player doing things -- there were
some bits that one might have thought were preprogrammed except I could
see Jason over to one side bouncing his handing around with great
concentration (whilst Dave lounged in his chair and Alan chugged bottled

water).  There were, to be sure, preprogrammed bits that I must rail
against as a matter of principle, but to be fair they seemed at least,
less prominent than they have at some points in the past.

I would buy a recording of the show, or a "best of" tour album, in a
heartbeat! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
mailto:cea at carlaz.com
http://www.carlaz.com/

Talking Water – 16th Nov 2006 at BRE, Watford
This one day conference on water efficiency and human consumption will examine the use of water and what can be done to create less wasteful habits.

Low Carbon Technology Briefings – Various dates, Nov 2006 to March 2007 at BRE, Watford
A series of briefings on the benefits of low carbon technologies, designed to give a general overview of the technologies supported by the Low Carbon Buildings Programme.

For further information and to book online go to www.bre.co.uk/events

For full details see www.bre.co.uk/events

Privileged and confidential information and/or copyright material may be contained in this e-mail.
The information and material is intended for the use of the intended addressee only.
If you are not the intended addressee you may not copy or deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner.
To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy all copies.
Thank you.

Building Research Establishment Ltd, Registered under number 3319324 in England and Wales.
BRE Certification Limited, Registered under number 3548352 in England and Wales.
Building Research Establishment and BRE Certification are subsidiaries of the BRE Trust.
BRE Trust, Registered under number 3282856 in England and Wales, and registered as a charity (No 1092193).
Registered Offices:  Bucknalls Lane, Garston, Watford, Hertfordshire WD25 9XX