HW @ Cambridge (was Re: Northampton gig)

Fri Oct 27 05:01:19 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 11:45:37AM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> Well, then, that's at least two tracks from the new album -- OK, not
> exactly on par with Iron Maiden opening their current shows with the
> whole of their new album ;) but, by Hawkwind standards ....

	Some comparison to Motorhead here to be fair (this is occurring
to both Carl and myself a lot as our tickets for their gigs here came
out on the same string of card when we bought them...). The last
Motorhead shows I've seen have had three or four songs from the current
new album, and then nothing later than 1986 except for `R.A.M.O.N.E.S.'
and `Going to Brazil'. Anything from the last fifteen years apart from
actually new stuff seems to be right out. And yet there's been some
excellent songs there. So also with Hawkwind; `Sputnik Stan' lasted
longer than several, and `LSD' has turned up now and again, but
basically at the moment they're playing a Motorhead-style set (right
down to the closer :-) ).

> But perhaps HW just need to write more songs! :)

	This is the difference of course, that in the last fifteen years
Motorhead have generated *significantly* more new material than have
Hawkwind.

> Now that Dave's seeming happy to be back out front with his guitar
> (where he _belongs_! :) maybe they should rush right back to the farm
> after the tour, lock themselves in the studio, and just jam like
> bastards for a week or so.  Nothing pre-programmed, just let it all hang
> out.  Oughta be able to get enough riffs and basic bits of songs down
> that they can spend the next week re-recording the good stuff and weave
> some floaty ambient stuff around it to call it an album.

	I've been saying this since 2001 man... So I still agree
obviously :-) Yours,
		     Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk