HW @ Cambridge (was Re: Northampton gig)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Oct 27 10:53:42 EDT 2006

On 27/10/2006 10:01, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> 	Some comparison to Motorhead here to be fair (this is occurring
> to both Carl and myself a lot as our tickets for their gigs here came
> out on the same string of card when we bought them...). The last
> Motorhead shows I've seen have had three or four songs from the current
> new album, and then nothing later than 1986 except for `R.A.M.O.N.E.S.'
> and `Going to Brazil'. Anything from the last fifteen years apart from
> actually new stuff seems to be right out. And yet there's been some
> excellent songs there. So also with Hawkwind; `Sputnik Stan' lasted
> longer than several, and `LSD' has turned up now and again, but
> basically at the moment they're playing a Motorhead-style set (right
> down to the closer :-) ).

;)  Well, it's true.  I'd like to see either band spread the set-list
out a bit more, temporally.  Motorhead certainly has some great stuff
from the last 15 years, enough that they could easily pick a few
kick-ass songs from (just about) every album in the catalogue for
inclusion in the set.  Hawkwind's back catalogue .... is a kind of
sprawling autoincestous affair where it's sometimes hard to tell what's
an album and what's not -- but even so, it's clear they could take a few
more tracks from the 80s and 90s than they currently do.  HW are welcome
to play "Sputnik" and "LSD" any time, as far as I'm concerned :)  We
could have "War I Survived" perhaps, and it'd be interesting to try to
work in something from the CotBS material .... what about "Dreaming City"?

Of course, I'd trade it all in for a pulsing, brain-pummeling dish of
brand-new return-to-form crazed space-blanga ... but then that's always
been true ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--