HW @ Cambridge (was Re: Northampton gig)

Colin Allen colinjallen at YAHOO.CO.UK
Mon Oct 30 09:36:59 EST 2006

You can come to see Litmus on Sunday; on Friday we will probably be in various pubs and clubs:).

Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
  On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:53:42PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> ;) Well, it's true. I'd like to see either band spread the set-list
> out a bit more, temporally. Motorhead certainly has some great stuff
> from the last 15 years, enough that they could easily pick a few
> kick-ass songs from (just about) every album in the catalogue for
> inclusion in the set.

Now that I think more about this, I wasn't quite being fair on
Motorhead: they do usually fit `Sacrifice' in there somewhere, which has
to be one of the most modern-sounding pieces they do. All the same, I'd
rather like to see `Slow Dance', `Stay Out of Jail', `On Your Feet Or
On Your Knees' or `Sex and Death', and I could probably give up one or
two of the _Bomber_/_Ace of Spades_ songs to see that happen...

> Hawkwind's back catalogue .... is a kind of
> sprawling autoincestous affair where it's sometimes hard to tell what's
> an album and what's not -- but even so, it's clear they could take a few
> more tracks from the 80s and 90s than they currently do. HW are welcome
> to play "Sputnik" and "LSD" any time, as far as I'm concerned :) We
> could have "War I Survived" perhaps, and it'd be interesting to try to
> work in something from the CotBS material .... what about "Dreaming City"?

I suppose they were doing `Sword of the East' until quite
recently, and when Huw's on board we *usually* get `Moonglum', but,
just, it was noticeable this time out that other than `Images' and the
two TMtYL tracks everything was written before, well, before I was born.

> Of course, I'd trade it all in for a pulsing, brain-pummeling dish of
> brand-new return-to-form crazed space-blanga ... but then that's always
> been true ;)

Coming to see Litmus on Friday then? :-) Yours,
Jon
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
(Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk