HW: Do Not Panic documentary

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Apr 2 07:13:22 EDT 2007

Paul Mather writes:

> It was a nice documentary on BBC 4.  Obviously, footage must be very
> thin on the ground, because they appeared to recycle the Top of the
> Pops footage many many times.

Was that other stuff from the same Dunstable gig or is it Space Ritual era?

> But, the documentary itself was positive (despite Brock and co.
> having pulled out) and didn't leave a bad aftertaste in the mouth,
> unlike, say, the Carol Clerk book did for me.  What's more, they
> showed the Top of the Pops Silver Machine single as a separate short
> programme afterwards.

Confirming that we were correct about Dunstable being the time and place
of the recording.

Yes, if the Independent article is at all accurate, perhaps Dave, Alan and
Kris misjudged the intentions of the makers of the documentary, and
if so, it's a great pity. I guess there's been enough "Are these old
hippies still at it?" stuff in the press to warrant some suspicion, and
certainly Clerk's book aired a gigatonne of dirty linen, but as it
turned out, the heats of these guys were in the right place.

> Nicely done!

Indeed. I enjoyed it a lot.

FoFP