HW: Do Not Panic documentary

Steve Bishop steve.bishop at DB.COM
Mon Apr 2 13:12:02 EDT 2007

He DID bring a great deal to Hawkwind, but it was a loooong time ago ! (ie in
the 70's). Just watch the Night of the Hawks video again from 84 and see the
cringeworthy Turner-incited 'dance' competition at the end - complete dross
and very embarassing. I was in the audience for that and we hung our heads in
shame ............... add in his sax jamming and then compare it to the tight
excellence of todays Hawkwind line-up and I, for one, am mighty pleased he is
no longer in the Hawkwind entourage ........

We all have our opinions and I don't think anyone can say that he wasn't a
major part of the bands early days - but he became increasingly irrelevant
over the years .............

Guess there'll be a few who shoot me down now for that !!

Bish

             Gordon Hundley
             <drgoon at MAC.COM>
             Sent by:                                                      To
             BOC/Hawkwind               BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
             Discussion List                                               cc
             <BOC-L at LISTSERV.IS
             PNETINC.NET>                                             Subject
                                        Re: HW: Do Not Panic documentary

             02/04/2007 17:49

             Please respond to
                BOC/Hawkwind
              Discussion List
             <BOC-L at LISTSERV.IS
                PNETINC.NET>

On Apr 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, pete howe wrote:

> i dont blame Brock and co for pulling out.. having watched Turner
> and his croney old gang of pub comedians churn out the most awful
> versions of HW songs on utube, I cant blame them.
> And dont forget, the really bad ole years of 83-84 were mainly due
> to Turners comedy performances which made me and my space music
> mates groan every time he jumped on stage to ridicule every
> hawkwind song lyric he could think of, with his limited spontaneous
> wit and stupefying intelligence.THAT WAS NOT hawkwind!As Alan Davey
> quite rightly pointed out to Dave, after the Ipswich gig, which i
> was at , and was recorded for video.The only saviour of that video/
> gig was Dave doing psi-power.Turners  not a musician, hes not even
> funny, and now hes just very sad. He has a presence,yes..but thats
> all.

Wow. Get off the fence and let us know how you really feel. Clearly
you're entitled to your opinion, and I am to mine, but its a bit
excessive to try and claim that "Turners not a musician" (sic).

I think that Nik brought a great deal to Hawkwind, and even wrote
some great songs with them. Its too bad that the idiotic war between
members past and present has to spill over into the fans.

Gordon.

---

e-mail is strictly forbidden.