HW: Do Not Panic documentary

Gordon Hundley drgoon at MAC.COM
Mon Apr 2 15:11:01 EDT 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Steve Bishop wrote:

> He DID bring a great deal to Hawkwind, but it was a loooong time
> ago ! (ie in
> the 70's). Just watch the Night of the Hawks video again from 84
> and see the
> cringeworthy Turner-incited 'dance' competition at the end -
> complete dross
> and very embarassing. I was in the audience for that and we hung
> our heads in
> shame ............... add in his sax jamming and then compare it to
> the tight
> excellence of todays Hawkwind line-up and I, for one, am mighty
> pleased he is
> no longer in the Hawkwind entourage ........

I'm in the US these days, so no danger of me watching my PAL VHS tape
of Night of the Hawks in a hurry. However, if memory serves me,
Turner wasn't the only one sponsoring somewhat silly stuff back in
the mid to late 80s. Some of the sword waving, fire breathing antics
weren't exactly high art. I honestly don't have a problem with any of
that though - I never really expected Hawkwind to be sober, serious
and well presented. However, I'll agree that there was certainly a
disconnect between Turner and Brock at that point that made the music
pretty poor, and thats what I did care about.

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:02 AM, trev wrote:
> Why not instead go see Niks new project - Inner City Unit, who i
> don't think anyone could call "very sad" when the Blessed Ones are
> on their feet and bopping from the first song to the last.

Maybe not instead - I'm looking forward to NEARfest. But I'd love to
see ICU again. Any chance you good folks could schedule a gig in or
around the Philadelphia area? How about August 16th... 30 years on
from Elvis' death. ;)

Gordon.