HW: Do Not Panic documentary

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Mon Apr 2 19:34:23 EDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:17:08PM +0000, pete howe wrote:
> i dont blame Brock and co for pulling out.. having watched Turner and his
> croney old gang of pub comedians churn out the most awful versions of HW
> songs on utube, I cant blame them.
> And dont forget, the really bad ole years of 83-84 were mainly due to
> Turners comedy performances which made me and my space music mates groan
> every time he jumped on stage to ridicule every hawkwind song lyric he
> could think of, with his limited spontaneous wit and stupefying
> intelligence.THAT WAS NOT hawkwind!As Alan Davey quite rightly pointed out
> to Dave, after the Ipswich gig, which i was at , and was recorded for
> video.The only saviour of that video/gig was Dave doing psi-power.Turners
> not a musician, hes not even funny, and now hes just very sad. He has a
> presence,yes..but thats all.

You know, I see this Turner that you describe showing up on
videos and such, but when my wife and I saw him some years
ago touring in the States, he was downright gentlemanly -
gracious, even.  At the end, he bowed and thanked the
audience for attending and all!  It was the second time my
wife had seen him, and she loved both shows that she's seen.
Adn the guys backing him (on that tour at least) were
anything but pub comedians...

Steve