A Miracle!

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Apr 3 12:10:31 EDT 2007

Colin Allen writes:

> 1.  People often bid to a level that they feel comfortable with rather
> than what they are willing to pay.

That makes scant sense to me. In what way is someone willing to pay more
if that's not the amount they feel comfortable in paying?

Ebay is designed to keep your bid as much below your stated maximum
(what the item is actually worth to you) as is required to keep you
ahead in the bidding. It makes no sense given this to bid less than an
item is worth to you.

>   2.  Technical failures, overload and slow connections lead to people
>   not being able to bid, especially towards the end of on-line
>   auctions.

Well OK, but that's a tech issue which can be resolved by investing in
the correct equipment.

In fact, Eavis only needs to offer one ticket for sale and then take the
X highest bids.

Exactly this system works for allocating licences to take cars into
Singapore.

FoFP