A Miracle!

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Wed Apr 4 06:51:13 EDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:10:31PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> Colin Allen writes:
>
> > 1.  People often bid to a level that they feel comfortable with rather
> > than what they are willing to pay.
>
> That makes scant sense to me. In what way is someone willing to pay more
> if that's not the amount they feel comfortable in paying?
>
> Ebay is designed to keep your bid as much below your stated maximum
> (what the item is actually worth to you) as is required to keep you
> ahead in the bidding. It makes no sense given this to bid less than an
> item is worth to you.

Definitely, yes.  The only way to stay sane as an Ebay
bidder is to figure out how much the item is worth to you
(best determined through the following mental exercise: What
is the amount where I would slap myself on the forehead and
say CHRIST, I WOULD HAVE PAID THAT MUCH!").  ;-) You bid
that much, then *forget about it*.  Let the auto-bidder do
the work for you, and wait for the email telling you whether
you won.

All the rest of it: active bidding, last minute sniping,
etc, might net you a few cheaper wins, but will also give
you an ulcer.

Steve