OFF: Oresund Space Collective

Amphetamine Embalmer superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Wed Apr 11 19:18:26 EDT 2007

I thought the first ØSC CD from 2005 sounds like Tangerine Dream (Phaedra) and Ozric Tentacles and a little bit Hawkwind jamming (late 80's/early 90's with Harvey)...... very nice, my regular cigs (aarrgh, me nowadays a former shell of my old TCH induced lifestyle) don't let me experience it full.

So who doesen't smoke joints down in Denmark, I wouldnt know, (Nor would Nik Turner hhuhuhuh :) had it not been for the liner notes....... I found out! Hehehe, lead the way to new improvisation station green,,,,,,,

Stay Happy!

Christian

----- Original Message ----
From: Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Thursday, 12 April, 2007 12:55:24 AM
Subject: Re: OFF: Oresund Space Collective

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 09:13:18AM +0200, SHLL (Scott Heller) typed out:
> I don't mean to waste space with promoting my band but we just got a
> review and the reviewer really thinks we sound a lot like Hawkwind,
> apparently... If those of you who have the CD could comment (privately
> is ok), I would be curious..

    I don't have the CD, but it seemed to me from the review that
the reviewer lacked comparison points. He asks how one can review
spacerock without making a Hawkwind comparison at one point, and that is
kind of his weakness. Apart from one reference to the California Guitar
Trio, his checkpoints are Hendrix (once), Pink Floyd (once or twice),
the Grateful Dead (once or twice) and the Doors (a lot--does this mean
those track involved actual organ lines perhaps?), and Hawkwind (the
rest). I don't know how you'd avoid a Hawkwind comparison at that rate.

        I would have said a more pointed comparison, at least on the
basis of the material that was up for download on the OSC site last year
because I haven't caught up with the new stuff yet, sorry, would be the
laid-back bits of Ozric Tentacles. Not the US space-jazz stuff so much,
because the improvised nature tends to mean that there is a steady
rhythm and a slow progression, rather than the abrupt transitions of
Alien Planetscapes or the planned patterning of Quarkspace. Otherwise I
think I'd resort to descriptions like `chilled-out Dead with more
synths' before I got to Hawkwind, because the similarities are really
only clear with the jams on the early nineties HW stuff to me. The
earlier seventies HW stuff has the same spirit but more aggression and a
different sound, and the later stuff is almost all much more song-based.

    Obviously all reviewers, me included, should listen to much more
spacerock :-) Yours,
             Jon

ObCD: Ramones - _Pleasant Dreams_ (that'll help!)
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
        (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk