NIK (was HW: Do Not Panic documentary)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Apr 23 15:07:19 EDT 2007

On 23 Apr 2007, at 19:25, David Kuznick wrote:
> Quoting Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>:
>> No argument from me.  He was very cool, if slightly mad, the few
>> times I've met him personally.  'Course, I've never tried to _work_
>> with him! (We talked about him putting some sax on some of my
>> Scylding tracks but Chris Bruce was too strung out for us to pull
>> that off
>
> Heh, I never knew that.  What a surprise that would have been for
> the synthfish here!

Heh, yeah, it woulda been, no? :)

Yeah, Chris Bruce introduced us briefly at the Boston show on the
second Nikwind tour ('95?) and Nik was very cool and chatted to me
about stuff even though I was basically just there as a fan who
wanted to meet him :)  Chris said I was recording some stuff at
Chris's studio, and Nik was totally amenable (at least in that
moment!) to coming over and doing something (and, yeah, it totally
would have been on the "Ossian's Ride" track you also played on,
David -- that was my big Hawkwind-pastiche extravaganza
piece! :) .... But, of course, you know that it just wasn't going to
work out to get all the pieces in place before Nikwind rolled out of
town.

Would have been OK if Nik _had_ played Silver Machine for half an
hour, actually, since the main riff in "Ossian's Way" was basically
the Silver Machine chords with the rhythm from Monster Magnet's
"Dinosaur Vacuum" (another band not adverse to lifting from the
masters :)

Then we wouldn't have had to claim the recordings had "only one less
original member of Hawkwind than the current Hawkwind lineup" ;) and
it probably wouldn't have been as shambolic as some of Nik's more
recent UK gigs! :)

Good guy, though, Nik.  In another slightly more organized world, we
mighta pulled it off! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--