HW: News from the Hawkwind camp!

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Apr 26 04:57:15 EDT 2007

On 25/04/2007 16:55, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:20:36PM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
>> And I will heroically (but yet, pointlessly :) maintain that since no
>> one has seen an Archaeopteryx move, we couldn't necessarily be sure that
>> a given movement (perhaps especially in clouds) was not an Archaeopteryx
>> movement, so I'll give Alan (and Ron) the benefit of the doubt.
>
> 	But what we know of Archaeopteryces (I confess that I may only
> be writing this post so as to use that plural) implies that they
> couldn't really fly, only glide. So an Archaeoopteryx being at cloiud
> height is pretty much impossible. Therefore, whatever the singer is
> seeing can only be moving *like* an Archaeopteryx, not actually be one.

Ah!  But it could have been spontaneously called into existence
(possibly by the transubstantiation of a nuclear missile) some miles
above the surface of the planet.  In such a case, the Archaeopteryx (and
any possible companion Archaeopteryces) could easily find itself (or,
indeed, themselves) falling through clouds, trying to come to work out
how much help gliding was going to be.

Perhaps this is how it became extinct ....

> 	If the message were that a thing is like something that could be
> absolutely anything, I have to ask whether that's a message worth an
> elaborate metaphor :-)

Are we asking this of _Hawkwind_? :)

> 	I mean, this is like deconstructing Eliot. You say, "that's only
> there because it sounds sort of cool" and the critics go, "no, no, every
> word is significant, man!" Only this is not T. S. Eliot, but Ron Tree.
> Now I ask you, given Ron's penchant for buzzwords, which of these
> interpretations is more likely?

What higher calling could there possibly be than putting things there
because they sound sort of cool? :)  If it wasn't there because it
sounded sort of cool, please have it taken away and replacd with
something cooler! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--