hw: New Space Ritual edition

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Apr 26 06:25:02 EDT 2007

On 26/04/2007 11:01, pete howe wrote:
> grungy crap??lol..Hawkwind have gone through many "phases"(especially
> during the 70s) and 3 of my fav albums are all from that period and all
> very different-
> -warrior o.t.e.o.t.
> -quark,strangeness and charm
> -space ritual
> The other album i rate very highly is their 1991 Electric Tepee.
> I guess these are all pretty obvious choices for most hawkwind fans fav
> albums somewhere in their top 5 or 6, if they appreciate ALL the
> different "phases" theyve gone through.

We've gone through this before -- Christian just has a thing about 70s
Hawkwind being grungy crap! :)

For my part, yeah, I would rate Space Ritual, Doremi, and HotMG among my
essentials; there just aren't tracks I skip on there, not even the
weirdy noises and spoken bits.

(Strangely, I've never warmed to Warrior as much, and I'm not really
sure why.  Maybe it's because the strongest stuff is "Assault>Void" and
I've always like the "Palace Springs" version better?  After that,
"Magnu" gets my top nod on there, and that really _is_ a track I don't
listen to often enough ....)

I think one of main criticism that can be levelled at many later albums
is that the "density" of the songs diminishes in favour of numerous
vaguely electronicky instrumental linking bits.  For example, the
_songs_ on ET are fantastic, IMO, but the various instrumental bits
don't do much for me (with the possible exception of "Snake Dance",
which is kinda cool).  I know mileage varies and some fans dig this
stuff -- but I just think there are better vendors of floaty electronica
than Hawkwind, while there are few better vendors of roaring space-rock
thunder (whether that's "Master of the Universe" in 1972 or "LSD" in
1992).

I do appreciate all the periods -- CoTBS in the mid-80s had a fairly
high density of _songs_ -- and there's good songs from all the periods.
But I most appreciate _any_ period when the band is really on form and
turning out killer songs.   And I do think there's been an increasing
tendency for the band's songwriters to get caught up in weirdy
sequencing and stuff (perhaps because advances in technology have made
it increasingly easy to do?), which is probably great fun, but not
necessarily where their strengths as creative artists principally lie ....

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson