hw: New Space Ritual edition

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Apr 27 08:05:40 EDT 2007

Carl Edlund Anderson writes:

> Personally, I tend to like more the older "proto-ambient" stuff like
> Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze's solo work, or even Brian Eno
> sometimes (though I'm not as into his stuff as some!).  Some of the old
> Krautrock stuff verges on this .... Here, I get a strong feel of
> cinematic drama in the music and soudscapes

I tend to like the more melodic of this stuff - so I like Ricochet and
Logos while I find Phaedra really requires being in the mood. Tangerine
Dream seemed to go bad after 1989 and I'm not sure if much of their
output after that ever reached the standards of Ricochet and Force
Majeure. Much of Schulze I do like, though again I find some of it too
atmospheric. Software and mergener/Weisser do seem more consistent in
their output - some very floaty stuff in there.

What I'd really like to hear more of is electronica with the kind of
arabesque trance sound that Hawkwind managed in Space is Their
Palestine. Anyone know of such stuff?

FoFP