hw: New Space Ritual edition

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Sat Apr 28 13:33:47 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 01:05:40PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> Carl Edlund Anderson writes:
>
> > Personally, I tend to like more the older "proto-ambient" stuff like
> > Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze's solo work, or even Brian Eno
> > sometimes (though I'm not as into his stuff as some!).  Some of the old
> > Krautrock stuff verges on this .... Here, I get a strong feel of
> > cinematic drama in the music and soudscapes
>
> I tend to like the more melodic of this stuff - so I like Ricochet and
> Logos while I find Phaedra really requires being in the mood. Tangerine
> Dream seemed to go bad after 1989 and I'm not sure if much of their
> output after that ever reached the standards of Ricochet and Force
> Majeure. Much of Schulze I do like, though again I find some of it too
> atmospheric. Software and mergener/Weisser do seem more consistent in
> their output - some very floaty stuff in there.

My favorite synth music is the mid 70's spacey stuff like
Jean Michelle Jarre's _Oxygene_, _Equinoxe_, Vangelis'
_Albedo 0.39_, _Spiral_, Edgar Froese' _Stuntman_, et al.

It's considerably less ambient than the typical modern "New
Age" music, which doesn't do much for me.  I don't even know
if there's anyone doing that kind of music these days...

Steve