Reefer Madness?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Aug 1 06:00:39 EDT 2007

Stewartbas at AOL.COM writes:

> Just thought I'd ask; who are these neocons and what exactly is their world
> view

Followers of Strauss and the Wolfowitz et al 1992 documents "The Project
for a New American Century". It's pretty well spelled out there.

> and who are their supporters?

That's more tricky. Rove brought a whole buncha xtians to thee table
with anti-gay triangulation of the vote and the play that GWB is one of
them. Most of them would be very shocked at the Straussian view that
religion really is the opiate of the masses and that the cognoscenti
look to philosophy for their inspiration. No memo yet of course on
whether Cheney and Rumxfeld think that Shrub is one of the cognoscenti.

> Are Bush and Cheney neocons, how bout
> Hillary and Obama? When did this movement start?   Are they old  "classical
> liberals' (Jonh Stuart Mill or Tony Blair) turning 'right'

No, in fact they're old Trotskyists turning right. They're anything but
libertarians, who they pretty much regard as libertines.

FoFP