OFF: QotSA (was Re: HW: Mystery "Brainstorm" (around 4:28 long)?)

Mon Aug 13 11:17:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 09:54:33AM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> On 24/07/2007 22:27, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> >ObCD: Queens of the Stone Age - _Songs for the Deaf_ (anyone got an
> >opinion on the new one yet or are we *all* too old or too cool to care?)

	<snip>

>  While doubtless jaded by a subconscious irritation that "they're not
> Kyuss", I've always felt that Homme was drawing himself further and
> further into a kind of unnecessarily self-conscious post-grunge, torn
> between psych-o-boogie and Radioheadish uebercleverness (there's another
> band I never really warmed too, despite everyone trumpeting them as
> geniuses; moody depressing buggers sez I! :)

	It's definitely coming out as psycho-boogie, even now Nick
Oliveri's been dired, but I don't think there's much Radiopretension in
it, though some of the songs are very artful. Mainly they're getting
dirtier in subject matter as time goes on it seems. On the other hand
they'll never catch up with Nick's time in The Dwarves... Yours,
								 Jon
(for whom _Songs for the Deaf_ was possibly the best album of that year
except for the Clutch one_

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk