A question

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Aug 15 05:27:14 EDT 2007

On 15 Aug 2007, at 1:38 AM, vzenv14m wrote:

> Hi friends,
> Chris told me about a band he likes called Moe, does anyone know
> anything
> about them?  Are they worth checking out? I've always respected his
> opinion
> on music, and he told me to ask on the forum about them.  Many thanks.

There's actually a tie-in with this list, there.  It's via Blue
Oyster Cult.  At least one of the members of moe. is a big BOC fan
and they have sometimes done covers of BOC songs in their live sets.
I believe BOC also made an appearance during moe.'s set at the Jammys
one year.

moe. are a guitar rock based "jam band."  For some reason, I'm
reminded of Phish whenever I think of moe.  It must be the endless
guitar solos. :-)  I do think that moe. are part of a second wave,
ushered in by the success of and void left by Phish.  They certainly
have a robust fan base, of whom they take good care, so I'm told.

To be honest, I never really was grabbed by moe.: it's the sort of
music I can easily listen to but never seem to get passionate about.
(Mind you, the last time I listened to them was years ago, so they
may have changed radically since then.:)  I urge you to check them
out for yourself.  They allow taping of their shows and have given
permission to the Live Music Archive to host them.  I just looked and
there are 1,268 moe. shows available for download.  Point your Web
browser here:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Moe.%22

If you want something sounding like moe. but in a slightly more space
rock vein, try Particle:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:%22Particle%22

Cheers,

Paul.